Friday, April 28, 2006

1 hour comic

Well the sketch night was fun. Very small turnout this time. Just Luis, Brandon, Trinidad and I. But I really had a blast. We took our first try at doing "one hour" comics. And I think the results were very promising. I feel like this is the most fun I've had drawing a comic since my very first one back in 97. No rules, just stream of consciousness. It's funny how suddenly your obstacles can become a wealth of material when you just throw out the rules. I could have gone on all night if I'd not agreed to meet my girlfriend at midnight. So I'm really looking forward to doing more of these. And looking forward to doing some certain types of material I've always wanted to work on in this format. I feel like I'm finally getting somewhere now. Thinking is my enemy these days. It's been killing my creativity for years. Normally I would sit down to do something like this and all I could think about are the "rules". 360 rule, perspective, anatomy, style, storytelling, dialogue order, contrast, shadow, etc... all the thousands of rules I've accumulated over the years in my quest to achieve the "perfect" page. But the rules don't do me a damn bit of good if I'm not having fun. And I haven't been. Not for ten years. There's a time for your brain to process the rules. But there's also a time for just letting your brain play. I lost that somewhere in the portfolio reviews and 5 page previews. I lost that somewhere in the shadow of other talent. But I'm slowly getting it back. --Will

7 Comments:

Blogger Bill Drastal Blog Mode!! said...

He needs a bike helmet.

4/28/2006 09:47:00 AM  
Blogger Will Terrell said...

Oh the stories II had for retarded samurai! If only there had been more time! Damn you ONE hour comics!!! Damn You!

4/28/2006 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger BrianMORANTE said...

your mom is a samurai. Pretty funny. All my stories just revolve around food and sleeping.

4/29/2006 01:02:00 AM  
Blogger BrianMORANTE said...

The trick is soaking the rules deep into your brain. So that you dont think of the rules they instictively come out of you. they should be second nature.

4/29/2006 01:07:00 AM  
Blogger Will Terrell said...

I guess you're right. I didn't realize that's what was going on until recently. I just thought I was slow or something. Nope. Just thinking too much.

I've got to give myself more freedom from thought at least on the first couple run-throughs of layouts. Then I can turn the brain on and figure out how to slicken the pages up with all the rules.

4/29/2006 09:36:00 AM  
Blogger Dub said...

I had a lot of fun reading this one.

5/09/2006 11:11:00 AM  
Blogger Will Terrell said...

Thanks Dub! I really love your art man. Glad you like the comic. I'll be doing lots more of these eventually.

5/09/2006 07:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Bravenet Hit Counter
Powered by Bravenet
View Statistics