Sunday, July 27, 2008

Pilgrimage

My faith is strong. I have developed a very strong trust in following signs in life, and trusting God. They have always led me down paths that were far more rewarding and abundant than anything I could have crafted for myself. But I had a strange situation recently that really spun me around. And its been a long time since I've been surprised like this before.

I have learned that the best way to get what you want out of life, is to figure out EXACTLY what it is you are looking for, and then pray that the path is laid before you and its simply up to you to follow the signs.

About a month ago I took a job as a graphic designer for a local comapny that does t-shirts for the university here. It was following signs that led me to there. And then it was follwoing signs that led me to what is going on in my life now.

The job is alright. I get to draw some of the time. But a lot of the time its just getting stuff done. Not near as much creativity as I expected. And in the beginning it was a quick crash course in learning to draw in Illustrator, which I have only occassional experience with. Then two weeks in, I went to do caricatures at a party, and one of the parents, whose daughter I was drawing, asked if I'd ever thought of working for this international toy company she works for, that is also here in town thats been here for 30 years. That blew me away, cause I'd never even heard of them. I called them up that day, they'd already heard of me, and they had me come in with a portfolio for an interview. It went very well. And they said I'd probably be starting at 6-10k more a year than what I'm making at the current job. Plus benefits. I would also be drawing cartoons the majority of the time... instead of the ten percent of the time I am now. And I'd be working with 12 other cartoonists. My jaw dropped.


I worked up these samples (in Illustrator) and came back a few days later for the follow up interview. It seemed to go well. A few days later, they called me... and told me I didnt get the job. They only had one opening left, they said, and they needed someone that did design, for catalogues and such, of which I have experience, but I dont know the program they're wanting me to use. Plus... I doubt I would have enjoyed doing that instead.

So... I was thrown. It made no sense. There were so many coincidences. Many more of which I havent even mentioned. It left me very confused. Until I remind myself of what my heart desires. I am certain I could get a really high paying job with my art if that was what I wanted. I am even more certain of that after this experience. Sometimes when you ask God for something, he gives you choices. This would be perfect for me. If I wanted to work for a paycheck.. this would be the way to go. And its no coincidence that it happened two weeks after taking my first "real" job in more than 6 years. This is a reflection of one reality that I can choose for myself. But its not what my heart desires.

Next week I'm going to Ohio to follow my heart's desire. It is a pilgrimage of sorts to find my heritage. My journey to Mecca. lol. I'm sure that sounds strange to a lot of people (prolly especially to anyone living in Ohio haha) I want to be a comic book artist. I want to make stories that millions of people enjoy. I want to create other worlds for people to explore. Its what I've done since I was 12 years old. Its what my Soul aches for every day I think of it but put it off. Its what I want to do. Its what I'm ready to let flow through me now Its what is now my life. I'm ready.

So things are about to change.

This is no coincidence.

-Will

4 Comments:

Blogger Nathan H. Boyd said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8/18/2008 08:22:00 AM  
Blogger Nathan H. Boyd said...

Dude. Don't feel bad.

I'm dealing with the same type of issues. I think that being creative and being able to afford food at the same time is just something incredibly difficult to do in this town. But hopefully, if more people like you that take their art seriously start popping up, that will change.

Good luck man. Love your work too. Don't ever let all this drama in life make you feel like you're not good enough.

9/05/2008 04:31:00 PM  
Blogger Nathan H. Boyd said...

I would like to apologize for what I said about Stephen Joseph on your blog. I honestly didn't mean the things I said to come out as rudely they did. A lot of VERY talented artists work there, and I didn't mean to criticize them or the company in any way at ALL!! I was having an unrelated bad day, and didn't mean to hurt anybody.

9/05/2008 04:40:00 PM  
Blogger Will Terrell said...

No worries. I've heard enough from friends that it could go either way as far as SJ goes. I wasn't concerned. I've committed myself to being a student for the next year - working a job to learn and stabilize my finances. As long as I'm learning and having fun I'm good. It doesn't really matter where I do that. Just as long as I have the right attitude. Of course... a lot more money starting out would be nice. But the place I'm at has its own benefits.

9/05/2008 09:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Bravenet Hit Counter
Powered by Bravenet
View Statistics