Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Speechering

I remember a time when I would go weeks without accomplishing anything of any importance. Often, those times were filled with mindless TV, internet, eating and over-sleeping. Those days seem like a distant memory now. Its so strange to think about. I was just wondering about how busy things have gotten for me this year and how it seems to be non-stop. When it seems to get to be too much I remind myself of how empty those lazy days were, and how hollow my life seemed. I would take this life over that one any day.

Anyways, this has been a very busy month so far. Today was no different. I was asked a while back if I could speak to a class at the university. In the past year I've spoken to High schools, Jr, Highs, elementary schools, community groups and even churches. But speaking at the University today was the most people I've ever spoken to at once. I had a lot of fun. Since it was in a big auditorium I got to do the whole slide show thing, which was cool. It made me feel like I might actually have something important to say. Because I need more fuel for my already inflated ego. I'd have to say one of the more unusual experiences was showing the blackout TV commercial I animated a few weeks back and hearing an entire audience of people laugh at the same time. It caught me off guard and I suddenly wanted to do it again. I'm apparently now a laugh addict.

You never know how a speech will go over with people. In this case there were ZERO artists in the room, which was unexpected, and I quickly had to shift gears to adjust. But for whatever reason they seemed to enjoy it. My friend in the class said he thinks it was the best presentation they've had all year. And the teacher said its the first time everyone stayed till the end of class, lol. That might have more to do with me sketching a quick cartoon of their teacher at the end of the class though than me yammering on about myself. I did have fun though. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it now. At least I can get a room full of people to laugh on purpose now instead of just when I'm an idiot.

Here's to doing things on purpose!

-Will

Labels: ,

Bravenet Hit Counter
Powered by Bravenet
View Statistics